Using two iPads and an app called Assess, we are able to evaluate students in a new more “user friendly” style. With the electronic system, speech samples are recorded so we can then analyze the students’ speech and language usage. It also scores and provides written reports that can be used independently or embedded into other reports.
After using the program for the majority of the 2022-2023 school year, and working out the kinks that always accompany any new task, we have found several benefits and useful components of the new system. The following are just a few of the exciting things we’re finding:
- Generated reports save time for therapists.
- Less time preparing and scoring paper protocols
- More efficient testing process
- Saves paper and materials
- Students enjoy using technology through the evaluation process
- Eliminates possibility of errors with scoring
- Saves room-less materials to store
- Easy accessibility to both English and Spanish version of assessments